Many communication apps like Slack, Telegram, and Signal allow you to chat with yourself for quite some time. Recently, the popular messaging platform WhatsApp also joined this list by adding a new feature to Message Yourself. Though texting yourself might sound weird at first, it has some benefits.
In this article, let’s see how to send messages to yourself on WhatsApp from your phone or a computer.
Table of contents
How to Send WhatsApp Messages to Yourself on iPhone/Android
WhatsApp rolled out the message yourself feature on all its platforms like the web, Android and iOS. Make sure you are running the latest version of WhatsApp to use the self-chat feature. If you don’t see the option, it will be rolled out in your region soon.
- Launch WhatsApp on your phone and tap the Compose icon on the top right. (Android users, tap Compose at the bottom of the screen)
- In the New Chat screen, look for the contact titled (You) along with your phone number and tap on that.
- Now, start typing whatever message you want to send yourself and tap Send (Arrow) button to send the message.
By default, your phone number will be displayed in the Message yourself option on WhatsApp. If needed, you can save your number as a contact.
Since you are sending the message to yourself, you will see the Blue tick icon immediately to indicate that it is seen. Like a normal WhatsApp message, you can see this message on all the linked devices.
How to Message Yourself on WhatsApp Web
The self-chat feature is also available on WhatsApp web and you can use your computer to message yourself.
- On any browser, navigate to WhatsApp web. (Make sure your WhatApp web is updated to the latest version).
- You will see a Click to Update option on the left tab if there is a new update.
- Click the New Chat icon on the top of the left sidebar.
- Click the Contact titled You.
- You can start typing your message on the right tab and click Send (Arrow) button once you finish creating the message.
Benefits of Messaging Yourself on WhatsApp
Besides text messages, you can also send images, links, documents, etc to yourself on WhatsApp.
- Sending Photos Between iPhone and Computer
Let’s say you want to transfer some photos quickly from your iPhone to your Windows computer. There are multiple ways to do that including sending photos to your email, uploading them to cloud storage, and more. Or you can simply send the photos to yourself on WhatsApp and access it on your computer using WhatsApp web.
- Taking notes or to-do-lists
Are you attending an important call at your workplace and need to quickly take notes? Well, you can use the self-chat feature for that. Also, you can create to-do lists and reminders.
- Storing links
Though you can add bookmarks for a webpage URL on your mobile browser, it will be available only on that device. If you send the link to yourself, you can access it on all the devices linked to your WhatsApp account.
- Save your thoughts as voice messages
You can also use the self-chat feature to record and save as voice messages for future reference or to share them with someone.
There is no limit on what you can send yourself on WhatsApp. Since the messages are encrypted, it is a secure way to store important information and access it quickly whenever it is needed.