Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. We receive a small commission at no extra cost to you when you make a purchase using some of our links.
Regional customizations and personalized user experience were quite difficult when the Google Home series of devices hit for the first time. Later, Google worked on to bring the smart assistant into much smarter daily assistants. Like most AI Assistants, Google Home can be integrated with various popular music streaming platforms and can play songs in a single command. If you are from India and want to play Indian Songs only, you are in the right place.
In this tutorial, we will show you how to play Indian songs in Google Home or Google Home Mini.
Create Accounts with Indian Music Streaming Apps
As the regional substitutes to the Spotify, Apple Music and Pandora, India’s most favorite Music Streaming apps are JioSaavn and Gaana. Therefore, to get yourself ready with playing Indian songs on Google Home, make sure you have an account with any of these supported platforms. There is a big chance that almost every smartphone users have accounts in Saavn or Gaana. It is required to have one account with either of the music streaming platforms in order to start playing Indian songs on Google Home.
In case you do not have one, create one before you think of playing music. Both the Saavn and Gaana are quite good enough to satisfy the audiophile in you. However, if you are going with too much of Bollywood songs and radios, I would prefer you to go with JioSaavn.
Link Gaana or JioSaavn with Google Home
Now you have a Gaana or JioSaavn account that can help you listen to Indian Songs, especially the Bollywood ones. But in order to listen to the same on your Google Home device, you need to take some extra steps. Like always, Google’s Home app detects your location and suggest you the available services to connect with the Google Home. So, if you are in the US, your Home app would not list either the Gaana or the JioSaavn. You need to be in India, in order to connect the Indian Music Streaming services with the Google Home.
However, if you are located within India, here is how to link Gaana or JioSaavn app with Google Home app from your Android smartphone.
- Open the Home app on your Android smartphone.
- Connect to the same WiFi Network which the Google Home device is connected with.
- Tap the Account icon tab at the rightmost bottom of the device.
- Open Settings from the list.
- Swipe right to the tab “Services.”
- Tap Music services among the Google Home services list.
- If you have not linked any third-party Music streaming services, you could find the YouTube Music and Google Play Music as the default Music streaming services. When you ask Google Home to play some music, results from these apps only will be considered.
- To find other platforms, scroll down and check under the section “More music services.”
- Tap Gaana or JioSaavn, whichever you want to link with the Google Home.
- Confirm to Link the account with your Google account from the next pop-up window.
- Link your account successfully with the Google from the redirected page.
- You can now come back to the Music service section on Google Home settings. Choose the Gaana or JioSaavn as your default Music player.
After connecting the Gaana or JioSaavn, you can stream songs from these platforms easily using your supported Google Home or Chromecast devices.
Play Indian Songs in Google Home
Google Home devices support voice commands we use in daily conversation. So, it is not a big deal to play some songs in Google Home if you have connected enough services. Have you just linked Gaana or JioSaavn as in the above steps? If you have not set them as your default media streaming service, it is required to mention the app name amid the command. Otherwise, the Home device will start to play the songs from the default music providers like Google Play Music or YouTube Music.
If you want to make the Indian Music Streaming services as your default player, follow the steps.
- Open the Home app on Android.
- Go to Settings from the Account tab.
- Tap Music under Services tab.
- Choose the default music provider by just tapping any of the listed items.
You are all set and can start playing the songs on the same app by default. When you ask google “Hey Google, Play some music,” it will start to play some songs from the chosen app (Gaana or JioSaavn). In order to get the music from the specific platforms, you may need to mention the app name. Here are some sample commands you can try after linking the JioSaavn and Gaana with Google Home to Play Indian Songs.
- Hey Google, Play some music.
- Hey Google, Play some music on Gaana/JioSaavn
- Hey Google, Play the [song-name].
- Hey Google, Play the [song-name] on Gaana/JioSaavn.
- Hey Google, Play the album [album-name] on Gaana/JioSaavn.
- Hey Google, Play [artist-name] on Gaana/Saavn.
All these commands are well-known to work with all Google Home devices. If you want to skip songs just ask “Hey Google, Next.” All other media controls including the volume control, speed, etc. will be the same as the default even after you change the default Music provider.
One of the best reasons to play songs by using the Google Home is its accurate voice recognition feature and smart search on Music apps based on our queries. Even if the song we searched is not present in the Gaana/JioSaavn app, Google Home finds the best matching track containing the keyword. So, the next time you want to turn up some Bollywood jams, use Google Home integrated with the Indian Music streaming services.