You get a notification for SMS, email, and maybe if something on your system needed attention. From your Android phone to your Chromebook laptop, you get notifications for everything. If you’re being bothered by notifications, here’s how to turn off notifications on Chromebook.
Turn Off Notifications on Chromebook
Because your Chromebook can run pretty much the same Android apps your phone can, you will be annoyed by the duplicate notifications. If you’re anything like me, it is quite tedious to dismiss the same notifications on all the devices. If you do want an additional Chromebook, you can convert any old laptop into Chromebook.
You can turn off Chromebook notifications as they arrive, or you can go into the settings if you don’t already have a notification to respond to.
- Open the Settings app from the quick settings panel.
- Scroll down all the way to get to the Apps section, or click on Apps on the left column.
- Under Apps, click Manage apps.
- Select the app for which you want to turn off notifications on your Chromebook.
- Turn off the toggle next to Notifications to turn off Chromebook notifications for the app.
- If it’s an Android app, you can further micromanage notifications by clicking More settings and permissions.
- Select Notifications on the Android app management page that will open up.
- Uncheck the category of notifications you want to turn off on your Chromebook.
Another way to turn off notifications on Chromebooks is to turn them off as they arrive. You can do this by clicking on the settings (cogwheel) icon on the notification. For Android app notifications, you will have to hover the mouse over the notification to see the icon.
Related: How to Install Linux and Run Linux Apps on Chromebook
Android provides a superior notification management system than pretty much any operating system on any device. Since most Chromebook apps are simply web apps, the notification management is pretty rudimentary itself. But when it comes to Android apps on Chromebooks you have the full power of Android notification management at your disposal.