Have you ever tried to delete multiple Facebook messages from your PC or on your iPhone/Android device? Well, it takes a bit of time especially if you someone who is very active in using Facebook Messenger. Because there is no built-in option available at the moment to delete multiple conversations at once.
Thanks to some third-party tools, now you can instantly delete all your Facebook messages or some selected conversations. Let’s see how to do that.
- How to Delete Facebook Messages on PC (Default)
- How to Delete All Facebook Messages on PC Using Chrome Extension
- How to Delete Messages on Facebook Messenger (iPhone)
- How to Delete Messages on Facebook Messenger (Android)
- Third Party Apps to Permanently Delete Facebook Messages
How to Delete Facebook Messages on PC (Default)
If you need to delete your Facebook message, it is not necessary to use Messenger app on your phone. You can do that from your browser by logging to your Facebook account.
Delete Single Message on Facebook
You can delete any particular message on Facebook chat with your computer browser. Follow the below steps to delete a single message from your conversation.
- Log in to your Facebook account from Chrome or any other browser.
- Click Messenger from the list of options located on left.
- Under Chats, select the contact for which you need to delete messages.
- Click the Three-dot menu icon and then click Remove.
- Here, a pop-up window titled Remove For You will appear on your screen with two options: Cancel, Remove. Go ahead and click the Remove button.
You need to remember that the message will be deleted only for you and other members can still view this chat. The only drawback of this method is it doesn’t allow you to select and delete multiple messages. If you would like to do that, then the only available option is to delete the entire conversation as explained below.
Delete Entire Chat History of Facebook Messenger
It takes a lot of time to delete messages one by one. Since there is no option to select multiple messages, to delete the entire Facebook conversation. Let’s see how to do that. It is assumed that you have already logged on to your Facebook account.
- Under Chats, move your cursor over the chat that needs to be deleted.
- Click the Three-dot menu icon and then click Delete from the list of options displayed on your screen.
- Here, you will see a confirmation window titled Delete Conversation with three options:
- Click Delete. In case you would like to move the conversation to Archives, then you can click Archive.
By repeating the above steps, you can all your conversations which are not needed anymore. This is kind of too much manual work. If you want to clean up lot of Facebook chat messages, we have to use some apps and extensions. Let’s see some easy solutions to delete the message with third-party apps and extensions.
Related: How to Use Two Facebook Accounts on Android
How to Delete All Facebook Messages on PC Using Chrome Extension
In the above method, it is not possible to select multiple conversations or delete all messages of your Facebook profile. Fortunately, there are a bunch of Chrome extensions that help you to do that. Let’s see how to delete multiple conversions using the chrome extension titled Delete All Messages for Facebook.
- Launch Chrome on your PC.
- Download and Install Delete All Messages for Facebook extension.
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Launch the extension from your browser.
- Here, you will see a small pop-up below the extension icon with two options:
- Delete All Messages: to get rid of all your Facebook messages completely in a single click (it won’t be possible to recover them later)
- Choose & Delete: to select messages and delete them.
- Under Chats, you will see a checkbox next to every contact. Just select all conversions which you wish to delete and click the Green button Delete Selected Messages.
- Make sure to double-check your selection before clicking that button, as it won’t ask for confirmation.
Even though this extension helps you to delete multiple conversations quickly than the default method, it doesn’t allow you to select multiple messages within a conversation.
Related: Facebook Secret Conversations: Everything You Need To Know
How to Delete Messages on Facebook Messenger (iPhone)
These days, the majority of us prefer to use Facebook/Messenger on our smartphones. Right? Especially, if you are someone who uses Facebook messenger on a daily basis to chat with your friends/family, then definitely you need to delete the messages regularly to free up some space on your iPhone/Android smartphone.
Like its web version, there is no option on Facebook/Messenger to delete multiple messages at once. Hence, you need to spend some time in order to clear them. Let’s see how to do that.
To Delete Single Message
Follow the below steps to delete messages one by one on your iPhone.
- On your iPhone, launch Messenger app from the home screen.
- Under Chats, tap the contact for which you need to delete the message.
- Tap and hold on the message until you see three options at the bottom.
- Tap Remove.
- Tap Remove for you.
- Here, a confirmation pop-up will be displayed on your screen with two options: Remove, Cancel. Go ahead and tap Remove.
Now, the message has been successfully removed from your device. However, it will be available to other persons in the chat.
To Delete Entire Chat
In case you would like to get rid of the entire conversation for a particular contact, then follow the below steps.
- Launch Messenger.
- Locate the conversation you wish to delete and swipe from left to right.
- Here, you will see icons: Three Horizontal Lines, Notification, Delete. Tap Delete.
- Tap Delete Chat.
Now, the entire conversation with that contact has been removed from your iPhone.
How to Delete Messages on Facebook Messenger (Android)
Would you like to delete Facebook messages on your Android smartphone? Even though a lot of apps have different navigation options for iPhone and Android, the Facebook messenger is an exception to that, as the navigation options are exactly the same for both devices. So? Just follow the steps mentioned in the above section to delete Facebook messages on your Android device.
Related: How to Create 3D Photos On Facebook Using iPhone
Third-Party Apps to Permanently Delete Facebook Messages
If you are planning to sell your old iPhone/Android or exchange for a new one, then it is better to use a third-party tool to erase data from your iOS/Android device so that it is impossible to recover any kind of sensitive information.
Dr.fone Erase (for iOS)
This software allows you to permanently delete messages, contacts, photos and all other personal documents from your iOS device. It claims that it is impossible for even the professional hackers to recover any data after using this tool.
Just download the software Dr.fone-Erase (iOS) on your Windows computer, connect your iPhone and follow the instructions to get rid of all your data.
Download Dr.fone Erase: Windows
SafeWiper (for Android)
SafeWiper has dedicated apps for both Android and iOS to permanently delete Facebook messages and other personal content from your device. The Android version offers three types of wiping algorithms (High Level, Medium, Low) so that users can select the correct one based on their needs. It is available for Windows/Mac and has a free trial as well.
It will be really handy if Facebook provides an option to select multiple messages in a conversation or select multiple chats and delete them at once. Till that time, we need to depend on Chrome extensions to do that job.
is there no new method to “selectively” detele messages in2020?? lol….i see that extension isgivng a 404 error